Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Paskian Arts Research

Link: Art and Research inspired by Gordon Pask

An eccentric, a genius.. he dismissed the digital computer as a kind of kinematic "magic lantern" (wikepedia)

Alternatives to the digital/Von-Neumann/Turing computability, Concurrence, Analogy, Intelligent Actors, Conversational Theory, Kinematics and Kinetics are some of the strands inherent in Paskian philosophy.













Pask was an artist, a performer, in 1956 he created the Musicolour keyboard, a VJ of his time, and exhibited "colloquy of mobiles" an interactive kinetic sculpture with a very Duchampian tone at the famous Cybernetic Serendipity exhibition, held at the ICA in 1968...

I sense that his ideas were perhaps a little ahead of his time, perhaps now as alternative computing paradigms tentatively emerge - quantum, biotechnic, analogic - so may Paskian philosophies find fertile ground.

Link: Paskian Environments...

1 Comments:

Blogger CainPI said...

Dear Richard Brown,

You won't know me. I've not been in touch before, but I've known about your work for a while, so I thought I'd drop you a line.

I've been so busy completing a PhD at Glasgow School of Art over the last few months, and it's been too hectic and probably too upsetting to start talking about more interesting things....
My interest lies in enactive thinking and drawing - a mix of Francesco Varela and drawing as embodied thinking. There's a fair bit of systems theory involved.....with the hands of course..., but I've been round the houses with Pask, Ascott, and a few other metaphysicist guys....
Anyway, I wondered if you wanted to maybe have a chat sometime? Now I've submitted, I'm facing life after research as an artist who can't stop being equally interested in science and its a bit daunting. So any tales of how to do it would be gratefully pondered on...

Kind regards to you,

Trish Cain

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home